Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Does that make me a bad mom?

Today I had an appointment for Charity and Eliza to go to the doctor for a check-up. So I got up early and got everything ready and showered the girls and put bows in their hair and packed up plenty of toys and went to the appointment. We got their 20 minutes early to fill-out paper work because it was their first time seeing this pediatrician; Sam has been seeing her since birth. After the paper work was done they took us back and we started the questions to find out about their health and speach and all that. Then they got measured and finally the doctor came in. Since the appointment was for 2 children, plus Sam was there, it took an unusually long time. Well shortly after Eliza got her shots, about 80 minutes after arriving at the doctors, Sam coughed! Now for those of you who don't know, Sam got Bronchiolitis a couple months ago so I took him to the doctor and she put him on an asthma inhaler every 4-6 hours for 2 weeks. After about 2 weeks he stopped coughing so I wasn't too convinced the inhaler did much for him. Well about 2 weeks ago he started coughing again and it was just like the first time so I decided to look up Bronchiolitis and come to find out there is a correllation between Bronchiolitis in infants and asthma in children but they don't know which causes which so they treat Bronchiolitis with an inhaler even though studies show that it doesn't necessarily do anything for it. So I decided that rather than taking him in I would take care of it by having a humidifier in his room and having him sleep in the swing so he wasn't flat and pat his back to loosen the mucous. Well all was going well and he seemed to be getting over it. But after being in the doctors office after over an hour he let out one stinkin' cough! And the doctor immediatley turned around and says, "Does he have a cough again?"
"Yes"
"How long has he had it?"
"A week or two"
"I need to check him, let me get his chart"
At this point I am cringing! After listening to him she decides he needs to get back on his inhaler for 2 weeks and take oral steroids twice a day for 5 days and she wants a chest x-ray just to make sure he's okay!!! I was furious! He coughed once! I really don't think it's that big of a deal. My mommy instinct tells me my child is fine! She even said the chest x-ray was just to be safe but yet I still spent over 2 hours at the doctors with 3 children by myself on my husbands birthday and now I have to take Sam to the hospital tomorrow on my birthday to get a chest x-ray that even the doctor said was "just in case." I totally think it's overkill so that if he dies of asthma when he's 50 I can't sue the dang doctor!!! Oh yeh, and the worst part is when I questioned the need for the x-ray she said, "Well he has a history of turning blue." I wanted to scream "B*** S*** he does not have a history of turning blue, he almost sufficated! That has nothing to do with this! He was perfectly healthy when that happened! Anybody would have turned blue if they were breathing into a couch for a few minutes!!!" But I contained myself. So now I feel like if I don't do everything she perscribed I am endangering my sons life.

3 comments:

Jenette said...

Some doctors are crazy like that. We had one of them and decided to find another one because it was getting ridiculous.
YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOM!!!!

Nettie said...

I hate doctors... all doctors. they don't listen and they think they know it all, but when something they say backfires, oh then it is all YOUR fault. don't let doctors boss you around, you do what is right for you and your family, and they can just deal with it.

Carolyn said...

I can't say that I hate all doctors. I've seen some pretty terrible ones that don't listen and are useless, but I've also seen some that are really good and do know what they're talking about. I don't know about this one, but if he just coughed once, then I wouldn't be worried unless it was a terrible sounding cough... If it's been going on for a week or two, I would want to get the x ray though, just to see if there was anything going on. I'd definitely talk to the dr. about your research though, and ultimately he's YOUR baby and you make the decisions for him. If you feel like he is healthy, then trust your intuition :)