Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cakes, cakes, and more cakes

Okay so let's just say I've been super busy in the kitchen lately. This past week I made 5 birthday cakes. Four of them were in one day! Why, you ask. Because my friends and I have a lot of birthdays really close together.
This one was for Niki's youngest boy. It is obviously a Thomas cake. It is pretty simple looking but it gave me a chance to learn some new skills. I learned how to dye coconut. You literally just rub food coloring in coconut and voila! And I learned how to make piping gel, that pretty see-thru blue stuff in the middle. If you ever need the recipe it is easy to find online or e-mail me.

This is a "spaghetti cake" for a friend's husband. I got the idea from an amazing book called "Hello, Cupcake" I know what you're thinking, "What the heck are the meatballs and sauce made out of?" Drumroll please........Ferrero Rocher (the little chocolate balls in the gold foil) and strawberry jam. Wish I came up with the idea.

This is a Bakugan cake for Niki's other boy. Bakugan are all the rage with little boys these days so I just had to make this for Kason. It's a really simple design but all the little boys at the party thought it was the coolest thing ever.


This is a "Stargate SG-1" cake for my sweet friend Melissa. She is so kind to take care of all 3 of my little animals so James and I can go out every now and then so I wanted to make her a cake she would LOVE. So I asked her sister what her, Melissa's, favorite thing in the whole world was, and she said "Stargate SG-1." So I did some research and I found the symbol in the middle which stands for Earth on the show and the gate design and put them together as my original design. Let's just say she loved it!!!

This cake I spent hours on! It was for my very close friend Stephanie's birthday/going-away party. She, like me, moved here last fall and we became close friends and often joked about "Texas Pride." Texan's are almost annoyingly proud of their state so of course when she left I had to make her a Texas cake. I designed this cake by looking at a picture of the state of Texas then free-hand drawing it on 3 pieces of paper taped together. I then cut out my design and layed it on a 9x13 cake and cut the cake out in 3 jigsaw pieces. Then I frosted it in the traditional Texas flag style. It turned out so much better than even I expected.

5 comments:

Doug and Amanda said...

wow those look great!

Mom's Sewing Vault said...

WOW Texas and SG-1 are my favorites. You've got a gift, Heidi! love, sally

Jenette said...

You are sooo creative when it comes to cakes... My birthday in on one month come up to WA and make me one :) j/k

Carolyn said...

They all look great. I like the stargate one, even though I've never seen the show. I think it looks so perfect. :)

B+B said...

So cute! Those cakes look great! I am really into cakes right now too! Been playing with some of my own fun ideas too! You should try fondant, it is easy and really fun to use too! Beth!